ROTI BABI

 ROTI BABI


This is a favourite amongst the Penang Peranakan community. And this is my take on the dish. Purists will frown when they see how I do it. But me being me, and lazy too, I chose the easy way without much sacrifice in terms of flavours. Still taste pretty good, and here's how I did it.


Ingredients 

4 slices of bread

150g minced pork 

2 eggs, beaten 

Quarter teaspoon of white pepper

A quarter teaspoon nutmeg powder 

Half a teaspoon corriander powder 

4 shallots, minced 

3 cloves of garlic, minced 

1.5 teaspoons salted soy bean paste 

3 tablespoons Lea and Perrins sauce 

Half a teaspoon mustard powder 

5 chilli padi, finely chopped 

2 tablespoons sugar 

Some corriander leaves, finely chopped


Method 

Mix the pork with onions, garlic, nutmeg and corriander powder, salted soy bean paste, pepper and 2 tablespoons of egg

Spread the pork mixture on a slice of bread and cut it into 4pcs

Dunk the bread into the beaten egg. Make sure everything is properly covered by the eggs 

In a hot pan with some oil, put the bread in, meat side down 

It won't take long to cook as the meat on the bread is not too thick 

Turn it around and let it cook a little before plating it 

Repeat the process till all the bread is gone 


Now, for the sauce. In a bowl, add the Lea and Perrins sauce, sugar, mustard, chilli and corriander leaves and stir till the sugar dissolves and it's done!


Roti Babi is best eaten together with the sauce for that complete taste. One can't do without the other


Come on, just look at that! It's yummylicious!

I did all of this without using a blender, making a spice mix, adding chopped onions, adding crabmeat or putting the pork between two slices of bread. I know that should be the way but I wanted a quick and easy but tasty breakfast, so what I did suits me just fine as I hate to clean up and this way required minimum cleaning. However, the taste was pretty good too. Try making this! It's not too difficult. And good to eat too!

Enjoy everyone, and stay safe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAR SIU

MEE YOKE / PRAWN MEE